Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In the last quarter of 2013, the center completed the installation of 4,676 solar panels that produce 1000kw of power. That is enough energy to provide power to over 110 homes for one year!
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- We recycle cardboard throughout the center.
- Our Security Staff uses Bike Patrols and a Segway to minimize gas powered vehicle use.
- Our Security staff uses two Hybrid Vehicles for getting around property to help minimize gas powered vehicle use.
- We've made upgrades to reduce water use. We also use photocells to help reduce both exterior and interior lighting energy use.
- Between 7:15am and 5:15pm (10 hours) were 100% off the grid.
- We hold yearly E-Waste Recycling Events which on the average collects over 35,000 thousand pounds of E-Waste.
- We installed EV Charging Stations for customers with electric vehicles.
- Inland Center Mall has 14 Brand New Tesla ONLY Super Chargers conveniently located next to the parking structure by Macy's.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building